These candied walnuts are my new favourite! They’re addictively sweet, nutty, beautifully golden and crispy. Candied walnuts are simply walnuts coated in sugar, butter and a pinch of cinnamon and salt. That’s it! You can make any of your favourite nuts into a sweet, crunchy treat but in this recipe I use walnuts.
Why you should go nuts over walnuts
- Walnuts are very filling. In just half a cup of walnuts, you have 6 grams of protein alone. Toss them in salads or your own homemade trail mix and you got yourself a high-protein snack.
- They have heart-healthy fats. Walnuts are arguably the only nuts that contain high amounts of omega-3 essential fatty acids, which promotes heart health. In other words, eating walnuts may be one of the best things you can do to improve your health…so start snacking on them!
- They taste good with pretty much anything. Walnut flavour in general is relatively mild, so you don’t have to worry about its nutty flavour overpowering your meal.
Walnuts pair with a variety of foods:
- Homemade trail mix with dark chocolate, dried cranberries, almonds and peanuts
- Crush walnuts and top over your favourite ice cream as a night time treat
- Add walnuts as a crunchy addition to some of my other recipes: Healthy Breakfast Banana Split, Apple Spice Steel-Cut Oats, Healthy Pumpkin Waffles, and Spicy Ginger Veggie Stir Fry
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts whole or chopped
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add sugar. Stir frequently using a heat proof non-plastic spatula
- Add walnuts. Once walnuts are coated, quickly remove from heat and pour onto a cutting board or a sheet of parchment paper to dry. The candy coating will fully harden as it cools
- Once cooled, store in an air-tight jar or enjoy right away!
DID YOU MAKE THIS candied walnuts RECIPE?
Snap a photo of yours and tag @myfeelgoodmeals or use the hashtag #myfeelgoodmeals